Orcas

Orcas are also called killer whales and live in family groups called pods. Sometimes up to 40 individuals live in a pod. Members of the pod make distinctive calls that only other members of their pod will recognize. Orcas are one of the worlds most powerful predators. They have teeth up to 4 inches ( 10 centimeters ) long and can grab seals right of the ice. Orcas eat seals, sea lions, and even other whales. Orcas live in the cold, coastal water from the polar regions to the equator.

Orca_2009082920391074351

9 thoughts on “Orcas

1. Dear Riley,
    The first post I saw today when I logged in was yours! What a beautiful picture and paragraph about Orcas. Why do you think they got the name Killer Whales? Do you think it is because they are such powerful predators?

Thanks Riley,
    Mrs. Fordyce

2. Hi Riley,
    My name is Tebijan and i also live in Hamilton. I go Berkley normal middle school.
    Your blog has taught me a lot of things. I didn’t even know there were monkeys the size of fingers! Ive also got a blog but unlike you i only just started it. It would really help if you viewed my blog and shared it with other.

Thanks,
    Tebijan

• Dear Tebijan,
      I’m excited to see your blog posts, I will be sure to tell others about your blog! What is your URL?

From,
      Riley

3. Dear Riley,
    WOW WOW and WOW! Riley I bearably knew anything about orcas! You taught me so much! I can’t believe that sometimes 40 our in a pod!
    From your friend,
    Simone

4. Dear Riley,
    I love your post about Orcas! I have seen many Orcas in my life,onetime I saw 2 jump out of the water and make a heart formation! I told my family, but they said it wasn’t real. What made you want to do a post about Orcas? I love watching Orcas!
    From your friend,
    Rhianna******:)

5. Dear Riley,
    That is pretty cool that there can be up to 40 orcas in a pod. It is also cool that their teeth can be up to 4 inches long. I did not know the orcas can eat that many things.
    Your Friend
    Bianca

6. Riley! You are such a great blogger and I love reading your posts. This piece about Orcas is amazing and thanks for teaching me about them.

7. Riley, I appreciate how you added inches and centimeters so your viewers from all around the world could understand you.

8. Dear Riley,
    I especially like your post on orcas. I love all arctic animals and I learned some new facts from your post. I also liked how you made it into centimeters and inches so people around the world would understand it.